Self-Introduction Letter

Dear Professor Blackstone,

I would like to formally introduce myself as Ng Luo Fei. I am a first-year student, currently pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering at the Singapore Institute of Technology. I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic back in early 2021 with a diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. The electrical and electronic engineering course, focused more on power generation such as electricity. 

Mechanical Engineering focuses on getting physical parts, motors and components to behave in a desired manner.  My father sparked my interest in this field as I assisted him when I was observing how he fixed different household appliances. I am interested in mechanical engineering as I want to find out how household appliances and machinery works in our daily life. 

My communication strength is that I am an emphatic, attentive and patient listener, who communicates with others while understanding the struggles which they face. I followed up by providing them with constructive feedback about their worries.

However, my biggest weakness is stage fright. As I tend to tense up easily when facing an audiences, leading me to feel anxious. In the past, I was embarrassed and I cried almost immediately when I stood in front of the class due to my mental breakdown. Slowly, I tried different ways to bring down my emotions while trying to overcome them. However, when I feel nervous, I will still tend to stutter and mispronounce words.

By the end of this module, my goal is to speak confidently in front of a large crowd. In addition to that, I hope to improve my English writing and presenting skills. As I grew up in a Mandarin-speaking family, I felt that there was a communication barrier and my English language skills were weak when compared to others.

Another unique aspect about myself is my love for sports and outdoor activities. I usually spend my free time exploring outdoor activities or even playing a simple game of basketball with my peers. By doing so, I would be able to destress while keeping myself active and healthy. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and I look forward to working with you while learning tips about communication skills

Best Regards,

Ng Luo Fei


Commented on:

Yen Teing

Calvin


Comments

  1. Hi Luo Fei, it is great to know that your father fueled your interest to join this course. Having a listener like you makes people feel acknowledged and respected. Constructive feedback is very useful as the other party knows their areas of improvement. Through practice, I believe that by the end of this module you would have had various presenting opportunities and would become more confident in yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xin Yi,

      Thank you for taking your time to comment on my post. I really appreciate it.

      Best regards,
      Luo Fei

      Delete
  2. Hi Luo Fei,

    Thank you for writing this letter. It is heart warming to know that your father is a great role model that inspire you to take up this course. I am able to relate to your weakness as stage fright is a compilation of factors that ultimately affect us when we least expect it.

    All in all, your letter is engaging and the flow is good as I am able to understand the content well on your email. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Calvin,

    I appreciate your time to comment on my post.I hope we will be able to step out of our comfort zones to overcome our stage fright through this module.

    Best regards,
    Luo Fei

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi bryant,

      Thank you for taking your time to read my letter and comment on my post. I really appreciate it. Through this module we will have to public speaking, I will have to face it no matter what. I will try to overcome it as well.

      Best Regards,
      Luo Fei

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Luo Fei,

    Thank you for this clear, fairly succinct and informative letter. You do a good job covering the scope of the assignment as you explain your educational background, the inspiration for your ME studies and experience in poly leading to your development of both communication and engineering skills. It's enriching for us readers to learn about your dad's influence and to read an honest self reflection on your fears of speaking before your peers. I also like reading about your interest in sports (with bball one of my own passions).

    Of course, the goals you have set for yourself are all areas we will address in the module. For starters, although this letter is quite fluent, there are some language issues to take note of:


    1. overuse of caps
    -- a degree in Mechanical Engineering > ?
    -- In Electrical and Electronic Engineering course, it focused more on power generation such as electricity. > (overuse of caps / sentence structure) The electrical and electronic engineering course focused more on power generation such as electricity.

    -- Mechanical Engineering focuses ... > ?

    2. verb use / word use
    -- My communication strength is that I am an emphatic, attentive and patient listener, who communicate with others understanding the struggles which they faced. I followed up by providing them constructive feedback about their worrying issues. > (tense and word choice)
    My communication strength is that I am an emphatic, attentive and patient listener, who communicateS with others while understanding the struggles which they face. I follow up by providing them WITH constructive feedback about their worries.

    -- facing a group of audiences, > facing an audience,

    Let's work on revising this. I look forward to getting to know you better in the coming weeks.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary Reader + Response Final Draft

Critical Reflection